22 February 2008

Can't Yoko Do Something?


City Room reports that the charming Upper West Side Cafe La Fortuna, which was a favorite of John Lennon and Yoko Ono back in the day, will close on Sunday.

The 30-year-old cafe lost its kind, ungreedy landlord three years ago. He kept the rent low for the owners' sake. (Can you imagine?) No such luck with the new landlord. That made things tough. Then, in January, Alice Urwand, the wife part of the husband-and-wife team that ran the place, died. Her spouse Vincent decided it was time to pack it in.

The cafe, on W. 71st Street, has only been in operation since 1976, but it feels somehow eternal. It is small, with brick walls, a black tin ceiling and small tables. They only take cash. Sadly, I only visited this place for the first time last year. I'll try to make it there one more time this weekend.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's true NYC is evaporating before our eyes. As a native I feel like my memories are being "DELETED". I live next door to Cafe La Fortuna and feel a great loss already. I am also still mourning the loss of
MCHales. Not to mention affordable housing...a vanishing concept in NYC!

Donna Lethal said...

Oh NO! This has always been one of my favorite little hideaways since I first discovered it in the 1980s. All of my old NY haunts are gone. I guess I did leave just in time.

Anonymous said...

Visiting NYC back in college in the 70s, my New York-native boyfriend, took me here.
That was the moment I realized I HAD TO move to the city. the boyfriend didn't last much longer, but my lust for New York sure did.